We added the following information to page 52 in our notebooks:
Ways to conserve soil:
1. Plate things! Roots hold soil in place and prevent erosion.
2. Rotate crops to prevent overuse of minerals which can exhaust soil.
3. Conservation plowing - farmers leave roots in the ground between plantings to prevent erosion.
4. Contour plowing - farmers follow the shape of the land to prevent erosion
5. Terracing - making "stairs" out of a hillside in order to plant and prevent erosion
6. Silt fences can help decrease erosion during construction